Translate

About Me

My photo
Circumstances for Clapping Hands is a blog about reasons to give praise to God, despite my circumstances. As Henry David Thoreau once addressed, “There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself.” The challenges: 1) Find value in everything you do and 2) Find joy in doing it.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The "Service Challenge"


Recently I’ve decided to take on the challenge of practically serving others, with the key word being “practically.”  With this in mind, here's how I plan to embrace the challenge.  By using these five basic steps, I hope to practice the act of service, simply and effectively. 
 
Just Listen
More often than not, we feel the need to be heard and we cringe when forced to listen, yet how awesome would it be if we truly took the time to listen to someone else?  Whether someone is sharing about their day, what’s on their heart, or a simple story, I plan to take more time to just listen.
 
Just be Polite
Imagine a world where everyone was publicly polite.  Could that even be possible?  By complementing someone, by holding the door for someone, by buying a coffee or meal for someone, or by helping someone change their tire or buy gas, you will have made someone’s day just a bit better.  I will try to be more polite wherever I am. 
   
Just be Hospitable
Want to build community or establish a relationship?  My wife and I will make time to open our home to guests and to just be hospitable.

Just Give It Away
After my wife and I moved into our smaller, new home we realized that we had a lot of stuff.  Stuff that we didn’t need.  Truth is, most of us have a lot more than we need.  Think about all those people who don’t have stuff.  Imagine what their lives would be like if they did.  Try putting some stuff in your car and give it to those you see that may be in need.  You could even make a pile and choose people in your life who could specifically use your lesser needed items.  I will try to give away what I don’t need to those who do.

Just Show Those Teeth
My wife and I have recently investigated the power of smile and laughter and have found that it can be very rewarding.  By simply smiling at someone, or laughing with them, your action and attitude could drastically improve their day.   I will try to smile at and laugh with those around me more.

So that’s the challenge that I’ve chosen to embrace.  By truly interacting with people, my hope is to make my day, their day, and possibly your day a bit better.  These are five simple steps I’ve decided to practice. I challenge you to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Great words of wisdom Jon! Such simple, yet effective ways to serve our Lord by serving others. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete