Translate

About Me

My photo
Circumstances for Clapping Hands is a blog about reasons to give praise to God, despite my circumstances. As Henry David Thoreau once addressed, “There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself.” The challenges: 1) Find value in everything you do and 2) Find joy in doing it.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Where's Your Focus?"

Luke 8:15 “… As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.”

As many friends and family are well aware, my wife Lindsey and I have been in the process (key word: process) of adopting a child for the past two years. During such time, kind phrases such as, though not limited to, have been shared:

"Don't worry, God has a plan."
"All in his time."
"You'll make great parents."
"It'll happen...just be patient."

It's that last comment, and even more specific, that last word that challenges every Christian on this earth, and it's that challenge specifically that has caused me to redirect my focus. I recently read Luke 8:15 and was struck by the simplicity of Jesus' words. These past two years have been treturous due to one simple truth. My focus, true focus hasn't been on God's plan, but rather my own. Without question I do believe that I would be a great parent, and in turn, my wife would be as well. But as my focus has shifted to that dream, it has become overly apparent that my due dillegence in serving God may have been skewed.

To be more direct, has my patience produced fruit? Have I grown personally and spiritually? In some ways, I feel I have...though possibly not to the extent God had planned. And so, here lies the challenge, or in this case, the test still remaining to be passed. Placing our focus fully toward God and his plan is what we have all been called to do. So the question I've had to ask, is one you might too:  Where's your focus today?

No comments:

Post a Comment